With the ongoing uncertainty of whether our first league game of the season against Southend United will be taking place at Roots Hall or not, OASF contacted the National League to seek clarity on the situation.
For those unaware, Southend’s ground, Roots Hall, currently does not have a valid safety certificate. With this still unresolved a week before the game is meant to take place there, this has unsettled many supporters who already have travel and accommodation booked.
The Shrimpers Trust indicated this morning that the deadline for getting the safety certificate had been extended until close of business on Monday (basically around 5pm).
We received a response from Mark Ives, General Manager of the National League, this morning:
Thanks for the email.
Although on holiday I am monitoring this matter personally due to the importance to all.
I appreciate the issue for all supporters (of both teams) and we will be making the final decision at 5pm on Monday at the very latest. If we have enough information before that then it will be made earlier but it will not go past this time
From our perspective, this is incredibly disappointing. If the venue is changed late on Monday, fans will lose potentially hundreds of pounds. It is unacceptable that the decision has been left so late. We have expressed these views to the National League.